Monday, October 06, 2008

SHINGLES :( (beware...whining ahead)

I have fun pics from our trip to Florida, but I haven't uploaded them to my computer yet - so you'll just have to stay tuned. Unfortunately as soon as we came back from FL I came down with the shingles. Yuck. (Basically - the chicken pox virus I had as a 6? year old (?can't remember exactly - but I know we were still living in England) back with extra itchiness and LOTs of pain and yucky burning (& soon to be oozing) scabs all over my left arm from my shoulder & armpit down to the tips of my fingers).

Lilly has had the chicken pox vaccine, so she should be ok. I just have to avoid pregant folks, folks who haven't had the chicken pox, and immuno suppressed folks like cancer patients...except...that's right! I'm the director of a cancer center! UGH! (and, turns out my secretary hasn't had chicken pox eaither). SO...I am trying to work from home when possible & go to meetings away from the cancer center. The home part is nice so I can wear a comfy cotton tank top and not irritate the dang sores all down my arm with fancy (read itchy) work clothes. If it was just itchy and pain it would be ok, but I just feel so dang crappy...fever, exhaustion, etc.

THANKFULLY, LUCKILY, BLESSEDLY I have wonderful people in my life who are jumping up and helping...Kendra and Jackson came Saturday and Jackson & Lilly entertained each other & wore each other out while Kendra basically cleaned my house. WHat an angel. Then Dad came all day Sunday and Mom came this evening. Kendra reminded me to not be prideful & ask for help...us super-moms...especially I think those of us who are single moms by choice - feel we signed up for this gig and can/should do it all ourselves....which is of course INSANE coming out of anyone's head but your own...but pride is a tough one to swallow. So, I am so very grateful for those angels around me!

I promise FL pics once I have overcome this insatiable desire to cut off my left arm to stop the incessant itching.

No comments: