Well, today is a very sad day in Virginia with the terrible news from Blacksburg. Everyone here knows someone at Tech, so everyone feels affected. And, while I know several kids there, who are all safe, somehow this seems to be affecting me more than I thought it would. Is it because I have been on an emotional roller coaster and anything sets me off? Or is it because I am finally a parent and can get a glimpse of the horror that families are going through. I find myself wanting to hold Lilly close tonight.
In an attempt to distract folks from today's sorrow...have to share my ongoing bureaucratic battles...this time they are all-American, so I can't blame Central American governments anymore!
Homeland Security...
My fingerprints expire in 9 days. I have to have current prints to apply for the embassy appointment. I realized this almost 2 weeks ago, and on April 3 overnighted the request & money to USCIS (US Customs and Immigration Services, part of our lovely Dept of Homeland Security). (In my own defense, even if I had realized it earlier, you can't apply to renew prints prior to 45 days, so it wouldn't have bought me much time). Then, after I got out of PGN last week, I found an "emergency help email for adoption" in the Norfolk office and sent a note explaining my situation. Initially I got an out of office message (didn't say to call someone instead). Then I got a reply from a woman who said they would be happy to help once they got my packet, but they hadn't received it. So, I immediately reply that yes they did and let them know who signed for it, what time it got there, etc, etc, etc. Then didn't hear anything. Then emailed her again on Friday. Then tried the 1800 "customer service" number as none of their office numbers are public. After 30 minutes I got to a person, who told me I needed a receipt number I didn't have on me. So, drove home, got the form, realized it doesn't have a receipt number, called back, waited another 30 minutes for a person and then was told they couldn't help me - not because of the receipt number - just because they had no information about Norfolk. I tried to politely share that I just wanted a phone number for that office, but she said she didn't have that. She suggested I just show up, but did point out that they don't have walk in hours at the Norfolk, VA office. I mentioned that I didn't believe that no one in Homeland Security knew the PHONE NUMBER of the Norfolk Homeland Security Office. She says "I am sorry but I don't have it." So, I ask to talk to the supervisor, he said I should try the "Infopass" appointment system online. So, making him stay on the phone while I try that, I share with him that it comes back with a message "There are no appointments available. Try later." I ask what I should do now. His helpful advice..."Try later." AARRRGGGHHHH. So, today I get an email response from my emails from last week. She informs me she has entered an inquiry into my case and once she confirms that they received it and I paid she will get back with me - and that it will take 2 days. AARRGGGHHHH. Meanwhile, I call my trusty Senator's office, who happens to be Mr. Influential & the big whig in Washington when it comes to national security, defense & happens to sit on the Senate Committee for Homeland Security. His office passes me to a very helpful soul in the Norfolk district office who hears my tale and promises to see what she can do. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I dig up my old forms from last year and notice that the form said I could go at the appointed time or any Wednesday between Jan and April (06). So, I have decided that unless Sen. Warner's office comes through tomorrow I am just showing up on Wed afternoon and choosing to politely ignore the "2006" part of the letter. If that doesn't work, I can resort to tears (which happened naturally last time I was there.) As I am worried about my temper getting the better of me with these folks, I am taking my only relative with a calmer temper than me...my dad. I love my mom and my sister, but they have tempers worse than mine- not to mention less tolerance for bureaucratic bullsh*t, so I am not sure this is the right environment for their assistance (as I am trying to get out of there still having a clean fingerprint record & not being charged with attacking a federal officer out of pure frustration!!!).
Anyway...that is only the homeland security side. Then there was the pediatrician's office where I am trying to make an appointment for Lilly at the end of May. It took over 45 minutes (yes - I really like the doc and she is worth dealing with her insane office staff). The highlights of the conversation went something like this...
"I need to make an appointment for my daughter. I am adopting her from Guatemala, and she will be one in May, and I need to get a Pediatrician for her."
"OK. What is her date of birth?
"May 11, 2006"
"How old is she?"
"Uh, she'll be one on May 11th"
"Who is her Primary Care Physician?"
"Uh, that is why I am calling, I am trying to get Dr. O as her PCP"
"Right, but who is she seeing now? Who is listed on her insurance card?"
"Uh, she is in Guatemala and isn't here. She is seeing a doctor in Guatemala, but I don't know what records I will get. She doesn't have an insurance card yet because the adoption isn't completed yet. So, she is still in Guatemala"
"Where is Guatemala"
"South of Mexico"
"Hmm. Uh, is she on any chronic medications?"
"I don't think so, but I don't really know."
"You don't know?"
"No, she is still in Guatemala."
"Hmm. Does she have any developmental delays or medical conditions?"
"Well, not that I am aware of. Again, she doesn't live here yet. She does have some hemangiomas."
"WHAT? Can you spell that?"
"H-E-M-A-N-G-I-O-M-A So, can I get an appointment?"
"Yes, the middle of June is the next available well child visit."
"I don't know that I believe that, are you telling me that if a baby is born between now and the middle of June that Dr. O isn't going to see them?"
"No, of course not. But all I have is sick appointments and she isn't sick that you know of so I can't give you that."
"Well, she has those hemangiomas, and I think she had a rash last time I was there, she might have allergies could we use that?"
"How do you spell allergies?" ......
Anyway...it went on and on. And, I eventually have a "sick" appointment right after we get back and then a "well child" visit a few weeks later. And, that should actually be fine as we can get all the labs done the first appt and then only re-vaccinate for the ones that have negative titers in the labwork.
But I tell you...today definietly reminded me its not just Guatemalan bureaucracy that needs some process improvement!!!!
Monday, April 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment