October and April are the two of the biggest reasons I love living in Virginia. It is absolutely gorgeous out these days. We have been trying to spend a lot of time outside. But, with fall, somehow life just seems to get CRAZY busy all of a sudden. I am back to the point where I feel I am strapped into a roller coaster at the beginning of the week, and while you think it should stop Friday, it just allows you a moment on Sunday night to regroup and get strapped back in.
This Friday we went to Kendra's Semi-Surprise 40th Birthday Party (Semi Surprise as Coop only told her the day before). Anyway - it was fun, and Lilly loved seeing Jackson (and his grandparents). I, of course, forgot my camera, but we had a really great time. She was sad driving home, and I tried to chalk it up to being tired and overstimulated, but I think she just really is a little sad that she doesn't get to spend more time with her best friend. (Guilty mommy sigh.....)

Saturday was a whirlwind - first day of soccer for Lilly and then a birthday party for a new friend in the afternoon. She had been sooooo excited about soccer (maybe not quite as much as me...but still really psyched). Ever since we saw Zaki play soccer in Florida she has wanted to be "a soccer team like Zaki." Then it was raining when we woke up yesterday, so I wasn't sure what would happen, but we headed out anyway. This isn't like a team or anything - just a parent & kid class for 3&4 year olds to introduce basic concepts. Its through the city's Parks & Rec division and held at the local community center where we had her swimming classes. The nice thing, is that there is a large covered "basketball" pavilion where we had soccer class in the rain (it will usually be on the grass), but after her being so excited, I was quite relieved it wasn't cancelled. Started out with stretching and a "jogging" lap, followed by some basic exercises in dribbling and passing. The class was 50 minutes, and Lilly was soooo into - for about 25 of those minutes. Then she was done.
(Above pic should be seen more as chasing than dribbling..... ;) )
Unfortunately the pavilion is located right next to a playground, which Lilly suddenly seemed much more interested in that soccer. Made me think of when mom (who was our softball coach decades ago) used to get mad at the girls doing cartwheels and picking clover flowers. If we hadn't been on a pavilion and there were clover flowers - I am confident Lilly would have been picking them. But, instead she lay on the ground and rolled around declaring she was too tired for soccer and only had energy for the playground. I said we could go to the (very wet from the rain) playground when soccer was over, but we were staying for the class. She eventually regained some interest, and did play a little more. And - for the record - she certainly wasn't the only toddler who faded out after half of the class! Then we did hit the soaked playground - it wasn't actively raining anymore. Lilly took the personal goal of drying every piece of equipment with her behind. And she succeeded.
Then home for dry clothes and lunch, followed by a long nap. I had to wake her up then to head off to the birthday party. I was a little nervous about the birthday party - mainly because I didn't know the kids, the parents, or anyone going. And those types of social situations are certainly not my strength. The party was at a My Gym (a toddler gym class place with colorful bouncy gymnastic equipment). I thought Lilly would really love it, but she got into shy mode. So, I had to go with her on the mat (which meant no shoes - more on that later). She refused to do some of the group activities, but did enjoy the free play stuff. Here she is eating cake with two of the older boys in her class that she follows around all the time at school. Noah is in Grey and Aki is in the red shirt. Lets just say she talks about them ALL the time. No competition for Jackson, though. Jackson is her BFF! Noah and Aki are more like teen pop stars or something. 
After the party she wanted to head to the playground, which we did for an hour. Then I had to go to the store to find something to eat for dinner. And, as I was pulling my hair out, my mother called on my cell and just happened to be at my house. We got home, had dinner, and Lilly unexpectedly agreed to go with her to spend the night and give me an OH SO NEEDED break. Mom could have been wearing wings and a halo and wouldn't have looked any more like an angel to me.
This week has really, really, really worn me out. Work has been difficult in a transition mode and full of complicated pieces. My ankle/foot continues to be a struggle. I have been doing PT for it - but it just plain hurts. And, when I can't wear my shoes (with my orthotics), my foot and ankle just throb with pain. So, jogging and playing soccer, and then 2 hours sans shoes at the My gym, followed by the playground, my right leg was screaming at me. As soon as mom and Lilly left last night I curled up on my giant chair with my drink of choice (amaretto sour), tylenol, and an ice pack on the right ankle while Didgy and I watched some of the taped National Park series from PBS on the boob tube. Sooooooo needed.

No comments:
Post a Comment